HEADS UP: xorg upgrade plans

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed May 2 14:39:45 PDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 03:26:25PM -0600, Coleman Kane wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 15:43 -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > > I tried X 7.2 about a week ago, and I can report some minor problems.
> > >

> I've been following the xorg 7.2 tree for some time, and recently around
> the time of either the move to /usr/local or the ruby18 update (they
> happened pretty close together for me) portupgrade -na seems to have
> broken for me. It just hangs there forever, seemingly doing something in
> the background and never actually starts checking for updated ports.
> Tried rebuilding INDEX, INDEX.db, and pkgdb.db to no avail... Once I let
> it go overnight and the process died with an Illegal Instruction
> signal...

One of the effects of portupgrade -a using the wrong upgrade order is
that is possible to introduce cycles into the dependency graph (A
depends on B, B depends on A, where I have seen A = xorg-libraries and
B = libXft).  In my case it was pkg_create and a cycle in the
+REQUIRED_BY lists (pkg_create looped for an hour between these two
ports but eventually gave up and proceeded).

It is possible that portupgrade might get itself into a similar state
somehow.  pkgdb -L might fix it for you.

Kris