errors when using gv-3.6.2 (and ggv-2.12.0) with ghostscript-gpl-8.56_2

bf bf2006a at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 31 11:43:02 UTC 2007

--- bf <bf2006a at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When attempting to view a variety of postscript
> files
> with the recent ghostscript-gpl built from the ports
> system WITH_SVGALIB=yes WITH_SHLIB=yes
> WITH_FT_BRIDGE=yes on 6.2-Stable i386, gv fails
> with:
>
> While reading gs_fapi.ps:
> Error: /undefinedfilename in (FAPIconfig)
> Operand stack:
>    (gs_fapi.ps)   2   Config   --nostringval--
> Execution stack:
>    %interp_exit   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
>
> --nostringval--   %array_continue   --nostringval--
>
> --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push
> --nostringval--
> Dictionary stack:
>    --dict:1087/1123(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--
> --dict:74/200(L)--   --dict:1087/1123(G)--
> --dict:2/15(G)--
> Current allocation mode is global
> Last OS error: 2
> Current file position is 1974
>
> Error: PostScript interpreter failed in main window.
>

> and ggv fails with:
>
> File is not a valid PostScript document.
>
> diff(1) reveals that my gs_fapi.ps is identical with
> the most recent corresponding file in the
> ghostscript
> cvs repository, with the exception of the $Id line.
> The errors persist after rebuilding all three ports.
>
> Has anyone else had similar problems? Can anyone
> suggest a fix?

The problem only occurs when ghostscript-gpl is built
WITH_FT_BRIDGE=yes, which has also caused problems in
the past with other versions of ghostscript.  It seems
that either the freetype bridge code is defective,
improperly configured/built, or incompatible with the
older version of freetype 2 in our ports system.
Suggestions for a fix?

Thanks for your consideration,
                                b.f.