Difference between pkg_create and make package

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 09:09:10 UTC 2007

david at evxtech.com.au wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any difference between pkg_create -Rb or make package-recursive in the resulting
> package file?

In general: Yes, they might differ.

Me personally, I consider these incidents to be genuine bugs. If more
people would use pre-built packages, more reports would come in and we
could fix this better. Until such time, you can probably share the ports
tree between multiple machines via NFS and run 'make install' on each
computer.

On the other hand, it is rather seldom, that you find such differences
between 'make install' and 'pkg_add'.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."