joomla ports - installation- multiple virtual hosts

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Thu Mar 29 17:26:58 UTC 2007

Agreed but could it be solved by a cheat?

Hey -- is this too nutty an idea - but could it be made to work for ports which might need multiple instances?

How about letting the joomla port directory name be joomla_ plus a numeric suffix [xx].

Is it possible to write an amendment to the make file that looks at the current directory name and checks to see if another directory exists where the suffix is incremented by 1?
i.e the base port in the tree is joomla_00. When make is run in joomla_00 If it finds a joomla_01 then the make file needs to duplicate the port into www/joomla_01.

If a user wants two joomla instances then all he need to do is create a directory www/joomla_01. Using such a method the administrator creates as many additional directories as needed for the number of instances required.

In each directory there would be  a need to place a file to hold the path for the root directory for that instance and any other location specific information needed by the port.

I can see there would be some complications - such as a routine to recognise upgrades and duplicate the upgrades into the directories. It sounds doable BUT I do not have the knowledge or experience to do it. I would like to know if you thought the idea was sound enough. There are quite a few ports where duplicate instances are needed - but a system would be especially useful for forums such as phpbb and content management systems.

It would be really nice if the idea could be developed into a generic tool that would hold instructions to convert such ports into multi-instance ports and manage the make file changes.

david