A review of different port management tools : analysis for Google SoC project

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Mar 29 09:31:25 UTC 2007

On 2007-Mar-28 16:03:46 -0500, Corey Smith <corsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>Ramblings of a long time FreeBSD user:
>
>* Use the pkg_* tools to manage the system binaries too:
>
>Imagine if installing the man pages would be as easy as:
>
>pkg_add -r freebsd-6.1-man

As a general principal, this sounds good - and I would like to see the
base system turned into packages with finer granularity than the
current approach.  The devil is in the details though.  You really want
to install the man pages that match the other packages that you have
installed, not a generic set of man pages.

>even better (use packages):
>
>portupgrade -PP -o system/freebsd-6.1 freebsd-6.2

AFAIK, the package system doesn't allow customisation.  Having a freebsd
meta-port would therefore force everyone to have the same sub-packages
installed - what if I don't want man-pages and you don't want sources?

>* Make a cvs / portsnap tag that allows you to follow the tag of the
>last successful binary builds

Tagging the ports tree is fairly expensive.  Whilst it no longer takes
days, it still touches every file in the ports tree which impacts
everyone who tracks CVS.  I don't believe this is a practical option
whilst the project continues to use CVS.

--
Peter Jeremy