A review of different port management tools : analysis for Google SoC project

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 21 23:11:52 UTC 2007

Gary Kline píše v út 20. 03. 2007 v 21:05 -0800:

> 	How  about this idea for integrating into a new ports/package
> 	project:  say for people with a fast I686 who wanted -O3 and -pipe
> 	and wanted his packages built remotely rather than his own
> 	computer.  Would be be posssible to build a package, custom
> 	(according to one's /etc/make.conf) on FreeBSD's servers, then
> 	fetch the *tgz package back?  Kernels, and worlds would reside
> 	on the remote server for only a few hours before being
> 	automatically cleansed.  This would be super for everything from
> 	a i486-166MHz with 32Megs that was serving mail *only*, a slow
> 	to moderate i686, or even an AMD 2800.  Building locally is
> 	sometimes the only way.  But if users have slower servers and
> 	there are no current packages (i386), why not let the builds be
> 	queued?

Just so you know, existing "FreeBSD's servers", as you put it, are
Pentium III blades clocked at 700 MHz.

And we tend to keep them rather busy.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

> Why do we need a film of "Lord of the Rings" when we have the book?
Because watching a cg enhanced Legolas fire a flaming arrow
into the heart of a warg is cool?
    - asdf at asdf.com in rec.games.roguelike.angband