A review of different port management tools : analysis for Google SoC project

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 21 03:52:46 UTC 2007

Hi all,
	I know this may be more of a questions@ type of question, but I was
wondering if some people could provide me with short history (beyond the
last 3 months) and the tipping points of portmaster vs the portupgrade,
portinstall, etc tools.
	I know portmaster is a bourne shell script and the portupgrade,
portinstall, etc scripts are ruby based, so that's a given.
	I just want to know if there's a given solution that I could work with
in improving the ports system and forge into a unified port/pkg
management frontend (using bourne shell scripts and C), combined with
the current package management tools in place (pkg_add, pkg_version,
etc), as part of a Google Summer of Code proposal.
	Thank you very much for your help in trying to make a great OS even better.
-Garrett