stupid question about -rf upgrades

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 19 13:32:04 UTC 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 4:10 , Brian Gruber wrote:

> portupgrade -rf gettext
>
> But if I'm using portupgrade, isn't this unnecessary?
> doesn't pkg_deinstall (and by extension portupgrade)
> preserve old shared libraries just to avoid this? what
> am i missing? why do i need to recompile half my
> system?

Because you might forget that you've done so, then later on install
something which links both the new gettext and another dependency
still using the old one.  If you're lucky, this will result in a link-
time error; if not, you'll get odd behavior and/or core dumps.

--
brandon s. allbery  [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell]
allbery at kf8nh.com
system administrator  [openafs,heimdal,too many hats]
allbery at ece.cmu.edu
electrical and computer engineering, carnegie mellon university
KF8NH