Ports 104877 causing big problems

Jean-Yves Lefort jylefort at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 10 17:02:42 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:16:04 -0800
Ade Lovett <ade at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > A does not reference C. There is no reason to rebuild A. This is
> > called encapsulation. You don't need to rebuild your whole system when
> > libpng is updated. It's relatively easy, yet it's entirely useless and
> > going to take one day or two.
>
> Wrong.
>
> [root at foo:~] 49# grep gtk-engines /var/db/pkg/png-1.2.14/+REQUIRED_BY
> gtk-engines2-2.8.2
>
> [root at foo:~] 50# grep png /usr/ports/x11-themes/gtk-engines2/Makefile
> [root at foo:~] 51#
>
> If png changes, the *only* deterministic way to ensure that
> everything is correctly rebuilt *is* to rebuild everything that
> depends on that port.  You do not know that gtk-engines2 in this case
> actually directly calls png functions (which may have changed).

It doesn't. If it did, we would add libpng to LIB_DEPENDS. That way,
the person updating libpng would find gtk-engines2 with grep, and
would bump its port revision to force a rebuild.

If users had to run portupgrade -rf foo, why would committers bother
bumping the revisions of all the ports that directly depend on foo?

> > Unknown to you, because you don't understand the problem.
>
> I've asked multiple times for empirical proof that there *is* a
> problem.  Believe me, I understand how .la files work.  I also
> understand how FreeBSD port dependencies work.  As the current
> maintainer of the autotools infrastructure, I am most certainly not
> going to change the status quo without very good reason, particularly
> given the load it will place on our limited package building resources.

That's right. Let's save a run of our limited package building
resources, and instead continue to force users to rebuild their whole
system for every library update.

--
Jean-Yves Lefort

jylefort at FreeBSD.org