Buid It Twice?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 5 06:14:00 UTC 2007

Drew Jenkins wrote:
> 20Hi; Is it possible to build out a port twice? I would like to
> build out the Python Imaging Lib to use with both my installations
> of Python.

I think what you're actually asking is, can I build the software once
on one system, and then use that newly built software again on a
different system? If so, the answer is yes. What you want to do is use
'make package' instead of 'make install' on the first system. That
will create a package of the software you install for use on another
system.

You might also want to consider using a tool like portmaster that can
automate this process for you. Install ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster,
then add:

PKGREPOSITORY=	/usr/ports/packages/All

to your /etc/make.conf file. Type 'mkdir -p /usr/ports/packages/All'
then cd to the port you want to package and type:

portmaster -g .

You might also want to add the -v (verbose) option the first few times
to get an idea of what it's doing for you. See the man page for more
details.

That will produce a package file in the directory listed above that
you can copy over to your other system. It will also create package
files for any dependent ports that need to be updated or installed to
make the port you're installing work.

hope this helps,

Doug