Can't Get MySQL Port Up

Drew Jenkins drewjenkinsjr at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 13:56:28 UTC 2007

Hi;
I am about ready to give up on this port and try the source code...but I'd really like to work with the port! I built out mysql51-server on both my experimental and new production server. I thought I had them both working, but maybe my mind's playing tricks on me. I accidentally deleted /usr/local/include on my new production server (that I'm still building). I rebuilt it successfully by rebuilding all the ports and filling in the blanks with a tarball of the same dir on my experimental server, which I had built with the same commands. I have been getting all sorts of errors trying to run either "mysql" or "/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe &", the latter giving more feedback and the former complaining about a socket binding problem (" Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'"). However, when I went to try the same commands on my experimental server, much to my surprise I got the exact same errors! The only thing I did to that server was run a tar -cvf
 command on /usr/local/include and all that would have done is walk the directory and read it, so what's causing this problem? Is this port buggy? Below is a snip from the error log:

070301 06:58:39  mysqld started
InnoDB: Error: auto-extending data file ./ibdata1 is of a different size
InnoDB: 0 pages (rounded down to MB) than specified in the .cnf file:
InnoDB: initial 640 pages, max 0 (relevant if non-zero) pages!
InnoDB: Could not open or create data files.
InnoDB: If you tried to add new data files, and it failed here,
InnoDB: you should now edit innodb_data_file_path in my.cnf back
InnoDB: to what it was, and remove the new ibdata files InnoDB created
InnoDB: in this failed attempt. InnoDB only wrote those files full of
InnoDB: zeros, but did not yet use them in any way. But be careful: do not
InnoDB: remove old data files which contain your precious data!
^G/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/general_log.frm' (errno: 13)
070301  6:58:39 [ERROR] /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: Can't create/write to file '/var/db/mysql/server312.web.vi.pid' (Errcode:
13)
070301  6:58:39 [ERROR] Can't start server: can't create PID file: Permission denied
070301 06:58:39  mysqld ended

TIA,
Drew