Upgrading MySQL port

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 27 13:36:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 07:14:09AM -0500, Jack Stone wrote:
>  I need to upgrade the older generation of MySQL from 3x to 4x and without
>  loss of the existing DBs.
>
>  What's the best approach of doing this when jumping a generation in MySQL
>  and keeping DBs safe in the process?

This is really not a question for -ports.  This is something you should
be asking the MySQL folks.  In fact, better yet, there's an entire
section on how to backup/restore entire databases.  Be aware that
migrating your mysql/ database is a testy thing, and if at all possible,
read the docs thoroughly or do it by hand.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrade.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/mysqldump.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/disaster-prevention.html