Speedup for make clean-depends (and thus make clean)

Mon Jun 18 10:05:41 UTC 2007

Quoting Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> (from Tue, 22
May 2007 09:26:58 +0200):

> Quoting Jeremy Lea <reg at FreeBSD.ORG> (from Mon, 21 May 2007 15:28:16 -0700):
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:20:26AM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> I tried to do the WRKDIR and _DEPEND_DIRS part in one go myself, but
>>> it was slower than the patch I did post (in the case where all dirs
>>> are already clean). But I did use another implementation, I did a "set
>>> -- $$children" and used shift instead of state variables. Did you
>>> compare the speed of your patch with the speed of my patch (in a
>>> directory with a lot of dependencies like e.g. gnome2)?
>>
>> In /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 (on an up to date port's tree):
>>
>> make clean-depends:
>> real 1030.98	user 916.21	sys 102.80
>> make all-depends-list:
>> real 348.25	user 310.27	sys 32.01
>> make clean-depends-list: (Your patch)
>> real 685.53	user 611.60	sys 65.93
>> make clean-depends-full:
>> real 346.18	user 310.53	sys 31.94
>> make clean-depends-quick:
>> real 124.72	user 119.88	sys 3.73
>>
>> In other words, it takes my poor old machine 17 minutes to do a 'make
>> clean' of gnome2 with no existing work directories (i.e. to do nothing).
>> Of that 5.8 minutes is spent building the list of directories to clean.
>> Your patch increases that to 11.4 minutes (meaning that 'make clean' is
>> 33% faster - which matches the numbers you posted).  With my patch it
>> takes the same time to build the list (meaning 'make clean' is 66%
>> faster).
>>
>> The cheating quick version takes one tenth of the time, because gnome2
>> directly depends on 57 ports, out of 508 total (on my machine).
>
> Yay! Please send-pr and assign to portmgr.

Hi Jeremy, have you send the patch to gnats? If not, could you please
do it (pav@ is interested to run it on the ports build cluster for
testing)? If you don't have time, is it ok if I send your patch?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
"The human brain is like an enormous fish -- it is flat and slimy and
has gills through which it can see."