Keeping track of automatically installed dependency-only ports

Conor McDermottroe ports at mcdermottroe.com
Fri Jun 15 13:35:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 08:24 -0400, Robert Huff wrote:
> Peter Jeremy writes:
> >
> >  For an opposing PoV: I often see ports that looks interesting or
> >  look like a possible solution to a problem and will install the
> >  port to have a play.  If it turns out that it's not suitable, I
> >  would like to be able to easily unistall the port and any
> >  dependencies it pulled in that I didn't already have.
>
> 	Oooooh, pretty - me want!

I solve this problem by having a text file containing the names of the
ports I wish to have installed. I then use a script[0] to show me the
difference between the desired ports and the installed ports.

Not ideal, but it works for me and may be useful to others.

-C

[0]http://www.mcdermottroe.com/computer-stuff/freebsd/browse.php?file=/computer-stuff/freebsd/portdiff/portdiff