An install conundrum

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Thu Jun 7 16:15:17 UTC 2007

I'm working on an update to security/bro, and I plan to take over
maintainership.  However, I've run into a problem that I don't know how to
solve.

By default this program installs everything in /usr/local/bro.  This
includes the docs, the binaries, the libraries, includes, everything.  I
can use configure args to define datadir, bindir, sysconfdir, libdir and
includedir, but that leaves the rest of the programs directories installing
in /usr/local.  The program creates a number of directories, including
archive, logs, policy, reports, scripts, site and var.

If I use the configure arg --prefix=${PREFIX}/bro, that solves the problem
of the "extra" dirs and files, but then it changes --prefix, and so the
bindir, etc. is now in the wrong place again.

Has anyone run across this type of problem?  If so, how do you solve it?

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst