X.org 7.2 and Radeon question

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Tue Jun 5 18:01:03 UTC 2007

Philipp Ost wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:
>> Philipp Ost wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps you can get the new fglrx-driver which ATi released recently
>>

>> I didn't know about this, but I can't find it on their drivers'
>> section: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html - do you know more
>> about this driver (e.g. where is it)?
>
> Sorry, I forgot that to mention: ATi only provides a driver for Linux.
>
> But there is/was a project[0] which did a port to FreeBSD. A older
> version of this driver is hosted by Alexander Leidinger:
> http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/ATI/
>
> Personally, I do not have any experiences with this driver as my video
> card (Radeon 9250) is fully supported by X.

I have one too and Quake3 causes a panic when a level is loaded since the
upgrade to Xorg 7.2. My radeon mobility 7500 doesn't have this problem, however
there are many visual problems (flickering textures) since the upgrade. And on
both xrandr is unable to detect the available resolutions, which is
inconvenient, because I use it in many scripts and it is used by wine and
prevents the starting of Diablo 2.

Anyway, what I want to say is that Radeon support has clearly suffered.