X.org 7.2 and Radeon question

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Jun 5 01:03:04 UTC 2007

     My Dell Inspiron XPS has a graphics card identified at boot time as

drm0: <ATI Radeon JN R420 Mobility M18> port 0xc000-0xc0ff mem 0xe0000000-0xefffffff,0xfcff0000-0xfcffffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1

and by X.org 6.9.0 as

(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Technologies Inc M18 JN [Radeon Mobility 9800] rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/28, 0xfcff0000/16, I/O @ 0xc000/8, BIOS @ 0x80000000/17

and

(--) Chipset ATI Radeon Mobility 9800 (M18) JN (AGP) found

Thus far (up through 6.9.0) only 2-D acceleration has been available.  Can
anyone tell me whether 3-D acceleration is supported for this card under
X.org 7.2?  If so, then I'll probably attempt to upgrade to 7.2 shortly.
If not, then I'll likely wait for 6.3-RELEASE in order to avoid msot of the
upgrading problems people have reported so far on this list.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG