FW: [Richard Stallman] Emacs 22.1 released

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 4 08:11:02 UTC 2007

Giorgos Keramidas escribió:
> Should we keep the editors/emacs-devel port, update it to Emacs 22.1 and
> allow for some time of 'settling in' before we switch editors/emacs to
> the 22.1 version?

It depends on the specific situation and the decision of the
maintainer(s). If it makes sense to have the next devel snapshot, it is
ok to keep both ports. (And if the release cycle is such long for emacs
I think it does make sense.)
> Then when the time comes to switch editors/emacs to editors/emacs21 how
> should we handle the 'move' (i.e. do we repo-move the files?)?

We always repo-*copy* and remove from the old location instead of
repo-moves, so that we have the removed files in Attic for later
tracking and have a MOVED entry so that users could recognize the
change. Or when the port is updated, we just update the old copy (emacs)
and keep the duplicate (emacs21) previous version with the new name.
> If we do the repo-move, what is the process of making sure all the Ports
> which depend on editors/emacs21 keep working, and how do we handle ports
> which use editors/emacs (emacs22 by then)?

You should just edit the dependencies of the individual ports to use the
correct port to depend on. I don't have too much emacs knowledge, thus I
don't know how to decide in each case, which one to depend on, but if
possible, we usually use the latest stable version as a dependency. If
all dependants work with emacs 22, then probably, you won't have to
change them to emacs21, just upgrade emacs.
> With these questions in mind, I will be glad and grateful for any
> insight you can offer, so that we can handle the transition to Emacs
> 22.1 as smoothly as possible, and with the least amount of problems for
> our end-users :-)

In this case, I'd ask for a repo-copy from emacs -> emacs21, update
emacs to 22, and update emacs-devel to 22.1 if there's such, or remove
that if that's not necessary.

More info about repo-copies:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/ports.html

Cheers,