Uggg!

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jun 1 20:59:08 UTC 2007

In message: <4660857A.2030701 at FreeBSD.org>
            Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: Warner Losh wrote:
: >> Best solution is to back up /var/db/pkg if it is in danger of deletion
: >> by a wanton admin :)
: >
: > The ONLY data corruption that I saw when my laptop died was *ALL* of
: > the +CONTENTS files going away.  It seems to have died during the
: > updating of the meta-data for the dvdauthor port.  Why all the files
: > of unreleated packages would disapper is a mystery to me, unless
: > mergemaster, or one of the pkg tools, deleted them all, and then
: > wanted to rewrite them and I got screwed between these two steps.
:
: I think you're thinking of portmaster, mergemaster doesn't touch ports
: stuff. What portmaster does when it updates +CONTENTS files is to
: update a temp copy first, then move the updated file into place after
: it's done. Not sure what portupgrade does.

Yea, forget I said mergemaster.  It was portupgrade.

: In terms of easily recreating them, I can't think of a way to do that
: reliably other than to build the ports again. portmaster relies
: heavily on the data in +CONTENTS, and it couldn't even rebuild your
: ports in place without them since it wouldn't be able to find the ORIGIN.

rm -rf /var/db/pkg/* /usr/local/* /usr/X11R6/*

is somewhat liberating...  That's what I opted for...

However, I've not yet tried to rebuild openoffice.  Firefox and X11
worked.

[[ as an aside, the updating instructions for xorg should say you may
   need to regenerate your config file, since when I used my old one
   I got pcidata not found ]]

: What you could do with portmaster is to pick a high level leaf port
: with a lot of dependencies (something like firefox) and do 'portmaster
: -aft /usr/ports/www/firefox' (make sure you specify the directory in
: /usr/ports, not the pkg directory).

I don't see the 't' option listed in the portupgrade -help output.
What does it do?

Warner