Are we ready for Native Flash?

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jul 27 22:56:17 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Kris Moore wrote:

> Hey, just wanted to give folks a heads up. I'm hearing that we may be
> seeing a native Flash binary for FreeBSD in the future, depending on how
> quick we can port over Tamarin:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/
>
> They are working on a Linux port now, if anybody is interested in
> getting a FBSD port done that will help us a TON in getting Adobe to
> release Flash9 in a native FreeBSD format. No more Linux-emulation just
> to surf the web!
>

> --
>
> Kris Moore
> PC-BSD Software
> http://www.pcbsd.com

That will be nice, and you're more than welcome to start porting ;), but note the following line:

Tamarin will support the forthcoming ECMAScript Edition 4 ("JS2") language and will be integrated into SpiderMonkey as part of the Mozilla 2 project, to be released in 2008. Brendan Eich's Roadmap Update for Mozilla 2 provides broad details on Mozilla 2 and Tamarin's role in this roadmap.

So, I wouldn't get too anxious about this becoming production quality until 2k8 rolls around, unless the Mozilla group does really well putting Actionscript in place.

-Garrett