Ports upgrade

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 26 18:28:15 UTC 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
> The other is to not use bash as your login shell, but rather to use
> sh, then have a .profile that starts bash if it's available:
>
> if [ -x /usr/local/bin/bash ]; then
>	exec /usr/local/bin/bash --login
> fi

Hrrm, my actual .profile entry is more complicated than that, and I
just realized that I oversimplified it here. What you want to do is
also test to make sure that the bash you can find will run:

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/bash ]; then
        if /usr/local/bin/bash --version >/dev/null 2>&1; then
                exec /usr/local/bin/bash --login
        fi
fi

otherwise you're stuck in the same boat by exec'ing something that's
going to fail because of the missing library.

Sorry for the confusion,

Doug