JDK for linux-firefox 2.0.0.5

Chris Billington billington.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:40:23 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 22:52:58 +0200
> Nikola Lecic <nlecic at EUnet.yu> wrote:
>
> > > However, I gave up on getting Java working in Linux-Firefox. The
> > > plugins _do_ show in about:plugins, but the Java test page shows
> > > 'applet testvm not inited' (on the sun-jdk14 only, otherwise nothing).
> > > The Java console works, and 's' for system settings shows
> > > '/usr/local/bin/opera' as the 'browser distribution path'. Hmm. This
> > > is in linux-firefox. My eye is on the opera-linuxplugins port as a
> > > possible culprit.
> >
> > Try linux-opera with linux-blackdown-jdk-1.4; it just works (no
> > additional ports needed -- just as Norberto has already said for
> > linux-firefox).
>
> For native firefox, i have diablo-jdk-1.5 working flawlessly.
> Both it (native + diablo.1.5) and linuxffox+linuxblackdown run the sun test applet and other java stuff with no problems.
>
> FWIW, i haven't got any opera related components installed.
>
> _________________________
> {Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Native Firefox is now working fine. It didn't when linuxpluginwrapper
was installed. Now, with nspluginwrapper instead, java and flash work
correctly and in a stable manner (except Flash audio delay)
As advised I tried www/kazehakase, (nice little browser on Gecko
engine) I still get the half-second audio delay with Flash7 that
always existed in native or linux-firefox, and I believe is a problem
on Linux and Solaris too. Maybe when we can get a stable Flash9 this
will go away? Flash 9 is not stable for me (though I can get audio
with libflashsupport wrapper, it often crashes).

No matter what I do: install, reinstall, browser and plugins, clean
prefs directories, the Java plugin on linux-firefox won't run, (it
used to work) but hey, now native Firefox is working properly I don't
need it any more.
Thanks for all your help.
Chris