powerdot

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Wed Jul 25 04:41:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:15:57 -0700
Predrag Punosevac <punosevac at math.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Nikola Lecic wrote:
> >

> > Nobody thinks that TeXLive shouldn't be ported :) What do you mean
> > by "light version"?
> >

> One of original arguments for not porting TeXLive was that the
> program is simply to big
> (over 1Gb). Having downloaded TeXLive (binaries only) on several
> occasions for my friends over DSL I can confess that that is really
> the case (at least 3 hours for binaries over 1.5Mps DSL connection) .

Binaries are 38M:

  % du -sh /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-freebsd/
   38M    /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-freebsd/

(~270 binaries).

texmf-dist/: common, platform-independent resources: 972M
texmf-doc/: 136M

> I purpose that the program be ported in the style of Gnome. Light
> strip down version which would
> be the minimal fully functional configuration,
> "full" (English language) version with all bells, and then another
> port with the support for different languages, another port Music
> part of the TeXLive etc.

Well, yes, of course, this is the way it was done where TeXLive was
ported (OpenBSD, Debian...): as modularised as possible.

> The idea of dividing the port is just
> initial and should be more carefully considered by the people who
> know more about various aspects of TeX that I do not use.

What makes you think they are not aware of this?

Nikola Lečić