Problems with +CONTENTS being messed up by pkg_delete -f

Robert Noland rnoland at 2hip.net
Thu Jul 19 17:31:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 21:18 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Stephen,
>     I admire your willingness to help, but I believe that Robert should
> be the one detailing the problem not you. That way too much confusion
> doesn't get aroused on the list(s).
>     I'm going to remove hackers@ from the CC list because this almost
> exclusively pertains to ports at .
> -Garrett

Ok, so the issue that I hope to address is not really a "portmanager"
issue.  The original version of package-depends always listed the
current version (from ports) in the +CONTENTS file.  When that list was
passed to sort -u, you ended up with a single dependency for each
origin.

The new way it takes each direct dependency and adds those, then
recursively parses the +CONTENTS file of each of those and adds those
entries and finally passes the whole thing to sort -u.  This allows for
multiple dependencies with the same origin to be listed in the +CONTENTS
file.

As an example... port a depends on b and c.  Port c has a version bump
and is updated but technically b doesn't require an update.  Now if port
a is updated it will get the current version of c and also the old
version of c from b.

robert.