Slight problem with make actual-package-depends with ports

Antony Mawer fbsd-hackers at mawer.org
Wed Jul 18 06:31:08 UTC 2007

On 18/07/2007 10:46 AM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> I appreciate that most people won't have this problem, but it has bitten
> me.
>
> After you have made and installed a port, but don't clean it, and then
> made a bunch of other ports, if you go back to the original port and
> then do "make package", then +CONTENTS can be a bit messed up for the
> package.  This is because the creation of other ports might disturb
> _LIB_RUN_DEPENDS and might put in some extra entries in +CONTENTS.
>
> This happens to me because I make all my ports on one machine and then
> copy them as packages to other machines.  Then on the other machines,
> the structure of /var/db/pkg gets a bit messed up and pkg_delete -r
> malfunctions.
>
> It seems to me that the cure is to slightly change "make
> actual-package-depends" so that if the port is already installed, it
> just uses +CONTENTS.

I can't comment on the particular approach taken in your patch, but can
certainly attest to experiencing the same problem and it being
frustrating to identify what was going on. It was only after much
hair-pulling that I discovered that doing a 'make clean' at the
appropriate time before package building fixed the problem.

Otherwise I was winding up with plenty of seemingly OK packages that
were missing critical files (in this instance, various PHP5 extension
ports that were "installing" but missing the actual .so files!)

--Antony