Moving ports around?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Sat Jul 14 20:36:33 UTC 2007

Hi

Is there a canonical, re-usable way to move / rebase packages around the
system, so that the package gets moved from one system directory tree to
another?

Example: If I have a machine with some installed packages, and another
machine's root directory mounted in (e.g.) /mnt, I'd like to copy a
locally installed package to /mnt, so the effect is as if the package is
installed in an environment chrooted on /mnt. For now, I'm doing this
the "long way around", by creating a package (.tgz) file, then
installing it in a chroot environment on the /mnt tree. I'd like to skip
the package file creation phase and directly move the files from one
location to the other, with the same effect (e.g. pre/post-install
scripts, etc.).