Xorg failed to run on old PC.

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon Jul 2 01:52:04 UTC 2007

( guys, i still don't see how this relatest to -ports at .... but i wont move it
again to questions@)

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 03:46:59 +0200
Nikola Lecic <nlecic at EUnet.yu> wrote:

> According to this, you asked your Xorg to start with 800x600 and colour
> depth of 8, which it tried without errors this time. Well, all I can
> say is that you should try to upgrade to Xorg-7.2 (it is even faster
> on older hardware -- and all those "exceeds DDC maximum 0MHz" shouldn't
> be in your log AFAIK)

right, i *think* that may be because your monitor doesnt support DDC, it reports
'0Mhz'.

are you using a KVM, by any chance? I *strongly* suggest you get X
working without the KVM first, and then try with KVM. of course, you may have
to par down your config, as your kvm may not support higher resolutions (well,
i doubt it in the case of this old pc...)

> or to somehow check your memory, as Norberto has
> already suggested (that's why I cc him).

memtest86+ , available in different forms - knoppix usually has a 2nd boot
option to run it. you may also try the 'ultimate boot cd'.

> (And maybe that I once experienced that the mouse had caused similarly
> weird situation, so you can try to disconnect it or to add Option
> "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true" in ServerFlags section.)

interesting, thanks for the hint. :)

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying  I approved of
it." Mark Twain

Warned.