status of FreeBSD packages [was: Re: pkgupgrade]

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Wed Jan 31 19:28:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 05:19:33PM +0100, Michel Talon wrote:
> In my experience the Debian system is far more reliable than the
> FreeBSD one, but such reliability will never be accessible to FreeBSD
> as long as *all* ports are not available as packages.

I have also been working on the 'packages problem' from the standpoint
of portsmon.  The first approximation is to add the state of package
uploads (using ftp4 as a reference) to each individual overview page:

http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=audio&portname=easytag-devel

Currently, the latest successful package builds on pointyhat are not
shown in the left side of the table at the bottom.  I am considering
adding this.

You can also see the state of all the packages on all the FTP sites:

http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsuploadstatus.py

I currently have an action item to contact the FTP site maintainers
for sites that are out of sync.

Also, you can see the state of the current package builds on pointyhat:

http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/packagestats.html

The 'skipped' column is the union of all the 'ignore' reasons.

In addition, I want to add tools that will show _why_ packages are not
built, and divide it up into {legal reason/marked 'ignore'/failed/dependent
on a package falling into one of the above}.  The latter of those 4 is
what is shown in the 'missing' column when a package build is finished.
I also want to add tools to allow comparison of packages between two
different build environments.

Note that this code is still beta, and I am actively working on bugs.
I am hoping that this work will lead to better packages on FreeBSD.

mcl