REPLACES variable in Makefile ?

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 30 13:16:12 UTC 2007

On 1/30/07, Alagarsamy <alagar at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> I want to know whether we are having REPLACES variable just
> like CONFLICTS variable in the Makefile ?
>
> I have two packages A and B. Package A is already installed.
> I want to install package B which should automatically replace the
> package A. In case, if there is no REPLACES variable,  is there any
> other way to do this ?

Your end-user desire is clear, but if you want to
go a bit further and propose a solution you should
probably examine systems where this already works
(I'd start with debian).

Currently in ports, you just have to bark at users
to perform some actions manually.