Vertical split patch in sysutils/screen

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at
Tue Jan 30 01:30:25 UTC 2007

In message <20070129222655.GL64768 at>, Jeremie Le 
Hen wr
> Hi Cy,
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 08:04:09AM -0800, Cy Schubert wrote:
> > A couple of comments. Something like this should be integrated into the 
> > base screen software. screen-devel at or screen-users at might be
> > a good place to start. That is the preferred approach. If the greater 
> > screen community does not feel this additional functionality is necessary 
> > and if we the FreeBSD community feel it is, I believe we could implement 
> > this. For something like this we should approach the GNU screen developers 
> > first.
> > 
> > If we as a FreeBSD community decide to implement this outside of the GNU 
> > screen development community, I'd like to spend some time testing it. 
> > People are free to test it and let me know what they think.
> > 
> > Firstly though, we should submit this to screen-devel at I would like
> > to be in the loop when you do submit it to them.
> Yes, I know the principle of upstream sources and I perfectly agree
> with you.  However, I think the patch have already been brought to
Is it possible they have not looked at it yet?

> attention of screen-devel at  The problem is that this patch
> breaks some features, as described in the "Bugs" section of its
> webpage [1] and have this not been adopted.

Would you have a PR number or something that I can follow up on at 
Even better would be if someone could point me to any correspondence about 
this on the screen-devel mailing list archvies.

The "Bugs" section concerns me.

> I fully understand you don't want to break screen.  However I am
> a user of this patch and I don't care about the broken features,
> and so does a friend of mine.  I supposes there might be other users
> in this case, so I've made the patch.

I'm sure others might be concerned about breakage even if you are not.

> I would understand if you didn't want to commit this.  However if
> you agree to commit it with a bug warning message, I can correct
> my patch to add this message in which I will detail the broken
> features.
> Please, let me know about your decision.

I would rather not commit anything that would break the software, even if 
the user has the option of knowingly and intentionally breaking it through 
an option I provide. I don't know if the screen developers at are 
unwilling to incorporate the patch in the base software. I'm not enamoured 
with the proposed patch.

Unless the "Bugs" can be addressed I don't think it should be committed.

Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at>
FreeBSD UNIX:  <cy at>   Web:


More information about the freebsd-ports mailing list