Non-daemon programs requiring kernel modules

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 29 11:53:54 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
> Quoting Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer at FreeBSD.org> (from Sun, 28 Jan
> 2007 21:58:28 +0300):
>
> > On 1/28/07, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
> >> Quoting "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer at FreeBSD.org> (Sun, 28 Jan
> >> 2007 18:35:30 +0300):

> >> Just tell at port/package install time the requirement. Every linux
> >> program needs the linux module or the corresponding kernel option. If
> >> the code is not available at runtime, the user will get an error. Unix
> >> is not for dumb people, so I don't think we need this low-level
> >> hand-holding.
> >
> > That's one opinion. But Unix is also not about dumb
> > developers. As a ports developer, my job is to make
> > it easier for users to run third-party software and
> > that's just what I'm trying to do to the extent of
> > my skills and motivation...
>
> I agree, but if you are interested in a general solution, how do you
> want to apply it to the linux stuff?

See my original message.

grep /etc/rc.d for "required_modules". Should we remove
all that and just fail when needed modules are not
present? The solution is not general, but it helps. I'm
always more interested in a small step forward we make
than a big leap we discuss.