Non-daemon programs requiring kernel modules

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 28 15:35:32 UTC 2007

I'm porting a simple util requiring aio(4). My plan is
to install a wrapper script which includes rc.subr(8)
and uses its required_modules mechanism.

If anyone has a better idea, please tell me.

One thing I would like is the ability to unload the
module if its not needed anymore right after the
program finished. But I see a lot of problems will
appear if we try a straightforward way to implement it.

Also, the subject is one of those problems asking for a
central implicit wrapper (in userland?) managing
interactive things like:
"acroread is not installed, but you can try xpdf"
"this program is already running and you can't run
  multiple instances of it at the same time"
"this program is alpha version which can damage your
  system, continue? [y/n]"

But that's another topic.