Updating perl entries in make.conf (via package)

Mon Jan 15 10:56:35 UTC 2007

Quoting Peter Losher <Peter_Losher at isc.org> (from Sun, 14 Jan 2007
19:29:25 -0800):

> Hi,
>
> I am updating several 5.x machines, and in the process updating the perl
> packages from 5.6.x to 5.8.x.  What I have noticed is that if you are
> installing a package on a new system, the package installs the symlinks
> in /usr/bin and puts the Perl env variables in /etc/make.conf (as expected).
>
> However, when updating (via pkg_delete -a, then pkg_add or portupgrade)
> the symlinks aren't maintained and the perl variables are not modified.
>  And the use.perl script seems to no longer exist (or I'd just have
> portupgrade run 'use.perl port' after updating the perl package)
>
> Is there a new/better way that perl is updated via packages so that the
> symlinks are maintained and the entries in /etc/make.conf are updated
> with the new perl version?

While we are at it: I want to add that updating stuff in/usr/bin fails
with a read-only base system.

In my case I have jails where the basesystem is a RO nullfs mount. It
is shared between all jails. In case someone wants to reproduce it,
you just have to use ezjails (it is in the ports collection) to create
jails. You just need to add a path with enough free space to the
config, add an additional IP to the machine and then run "ezjail-admin
create ..." (please consult the man page for options to use a prebuild
world and how specify the IP to use).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
No small art is it to sleep: it is necessary
for that purpose to keep awake all day.