Problems with pid files

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat Jan 13 22:50:06 UTC 2007

I just discovered a problem with two ports that I maintain, and I need
help figuring out how to fix it.  The ports in question are
security/sguil-sensor and security/sguil-server.  The problem, which I
just discovered today, is that, if both ports are installed on the same
machine (not the normal configuration), they create a pidfile with the
exact same name.  Therefore, only one of the two ports will run at any
given time.

I don't understand why this is happening.  The sguil-sensor port uses an
init file named "sensor-agent.sh" and the sguil-server port uses an init
file named "sguild.sh".  Both init scripts have the following in them:
check_process="${command} /bin/sh".  Both ports require special stop
routines to get them to stop properly.

Both processes create a pid named sguild.pid.  I looked at man rc.subr,
but I don't see how to set the pidfile rather than checking for it.  Is
there a way to force the processes to create unique pidfile names?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/