Build arch for configure based upon CPUTYPE, prototype (was: Re: cvs commit: ports/devel/glib20 Makefile)

Sat Jan 13 18:40:32 UTC 2007

Quoting Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort at FreeBSD.org> (Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:13:06 +0100):

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:17:26 +0100
> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort at FreeBSD.org> (from Thu, 11 Jan 2007
> > 17:21:36 +0000 (UTC)):
> >
> > > jylefort    2007-01-11 17:21:36 UTC
> > >
> > >   FreeBSD ports repository
> > >
> > >   Modified files:
> > >     devel/glib20         Makefile
> > >   Log:
> > >   On i386 (>= 486) and amd64, fix the arch passed to configure so that
> > >   glib will implement atomic operations with assembler instructions
> > >   rather than mutexes (improves performance).
> >
> > What about setting GNOME_ARCH based upon CPUTYPE instead of hardcoding
> > it to i486?
>
> The problem is not specific to GNOME. I prefer the solution below.
>
> > Or much better: set --build in bsd.port.mk globally based upon CPUTYPE
> > (to iX86 on IA32, I'm not sure if it is wise to change the amd64 one
> > globally).
>
> Yes. And do pass x86_64 for amd64, that's what a majority of configure
> scripts expect since they have linux in mind.

Hi, the proof of concept is attached. Configure shows i686-portbld...
when building glib20 on my machine (CPUTYPE set to athlon-xp).

For the final patch I want to sort the list of CPUTYPEs. I'm sending
this version to get some testresults (failing ports?) and
reviews/comments.

Bye,
Alexander.