DEPENDS -- is it time to remove it?

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 5 00:28:50 PST 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 10:13:06AM +0200, Vasil Dimov wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 16:05:21 +0100, Erwin Lansing wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 02:01:46PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > The ports make infrastructure has a whole series of variables for showing
> > > how one port depends on another: LIB_DEPENDS, BUILD_DEPENDS, RUN_DEPENDS
> > > etc.  Amongst these is what looks to me like the vestigial remnant of
> > > an earlier phase of the ports: the plain, unmodified 'DEPENDS' variable.
> > >
> > There is also a PR against this: ports/99724.  Unfortunately, it hasn't
> > made it into an -exp run on pointyhat yet as other patches had higher
> > priority.  It is on the TODO-list however, you are completely right that
> > it should be removed.
>
> One thing that can be done in the meantime is to remove DEPENDS from
> those 3 ports that still use it. So things are nice and tidy when time
> comes to edit bsd.port.mk.

Yes!  It would be great if someone could do that.  One of them was
already patched yesterday, so only two remaining.  A followup to the PR
would be great as well once that's done, so portmgr won't wonder about
the patches included there when they start testing it.

Cheers,
-erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                                     http://droso.org
Security is like an onion.          (o_ _o)
And it makes you cry.            <____) (____>    erwin at lansing.dk