Massive upgrade after updating gnutls-1.4.5 port

José G. Juanino jjuanino at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 14:48:41 PST 2007

I read in the UPDATING file:

###
gnutls has been updated to 1.6.1 and all shared libraries' versions
have been bumped. So you need to rebuild all applications that
depend on gnutls. Do something like:

portupgrade -rf gnutls
###

I run pkg_glob -r gnutls-1.4.5 and get 42 packages, including
k3b-0.12.17 and abiword-2.4.6 among other (I mentioned only
some of the biggest to build in my slow pentium III computer).

However, I have noticed that only a few ports depends directly on gnults
port (search for those ports which depends on gnutls but do not depend
on the rest of ports listed in /var/db/pkg/gnutls-1.4.5/+REQUIRED_BY,
see [1]). These ports are (in my system):

aMule-2.1.3
gconf2-2.16.0
gkrellm-2.2.10_1
gnome-icon-theme-2.16.1
gtkspell-2.0.11_4
k3b-i18n-0.12.17
ktorrent-2.0.3
libglade2-2.6.0_2
mplayer-0.99.10
pinentry-gtk2-0.7.2_5
sdl-1.2.11,2
tinyca-0.7.5
wxgtk2-common-2.6.3_1
xvid4conf-1.12

My aim is rebuild only the above ports, and ignore the others listed
in the output of pkg_glob -r gnutls-1.4.5.  The question is: do you
think is my approach right, or shall I need to rebuild all the ports of
pkg_glob output?

For example, suppose libA depends on libB, and libB depends in turn on
libC. If version of libC changes, I need rebuild libB but, shall I to
rebuild libA?

PD: excuse my poor english

[1]

#!/bin/sh
inputPort="$1"
vardbpkg="/var/db/pkg"
#
completePath(){
    while read p
    do
	if [ -r "$vardbpkg/$p/+REQUIRED_BY" ]
	then
	    echo "$vardbpkg/$p/+REQUIRED_BY"
	fi
    done
}
portname=`pkg_info -qo $inputPort`
if test $? != 0
then
    exit 1
fi
###
while read port
do
    if ! grep $port `grep -v $port $vardbpkg/$inputPort/+REQUIRED_BY | completePath` > /dev/null 2>&1
    then
	echo "$port"
    fi
done < $vardbpkg/$inputPort/+REQUIRED_BY

--
http://personales.ya.com/banach