PLIST_FILES question

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 3 11:46:07 PST 2007

Andrew Pantyukhin schrieb:
> On 1/3/07, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Beech Rintoul schrieb:
>> > Thanks to everyone who responded. I somehow missed that handbook
>> section, but
>> > I have it figured out now. What I needed to do is the following:
>> >
>> > .if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
>> > USE_MYSQL=    yes
>> > MODULES:=${MODULES}:mod_sql:mod_sql_mysql
>> > INCLUDEDIRS:=${INCLUDEDIRS}:${LOCALBASE}/include
>> > LIBDIRS:=${LIBDIRS}:${LOCALBASE}/lib/mysql
>> > PLIST_FILES=  include/proftpd/mod_sql.h
>> > .endif
>> >
>> > The  extra header file is not copied to include unless that option
>> is checked
>> > and hard coding it in pkg-plist broke the pkg build. It didn't show
>> up on
>> > pointyhat because that option is off by default.
>> >

>> Oh, do you want to mix PLIST_FILES and pkg-plist, did
>> I catch it right? That should not be done.
>
> Why not?
>
>> You can list that file in pkg-plist as
>> %%MYSQL%%include/proftpd/mod_sql.h and do the following in Makefile:
>>
>> if defined(WITH_MYSQL)
>> PLIST_SUB+= MYSQL=""
>> [...another things here...]
>> .else
>>
>> PLIST_SUB+= MYSQL="@comment "
>> .endif
>>
>> Look at e.g. security/amavisd-new, I do something similar there.
>
> PLIST_FILES is a bit simpler to use. Personal feelings
> about the variable, or whether it smells well when mixed
> with pkg-plist are interesting, but they are not quite
> relevant if there's no technical problem.
Well, I don't know why portlint warns you about it, but I also think it
should be avoided. I think it's just misleading. When I look at a port I
presuppose it uses either pkg-plist or PLIST_FILES, but not both, since
it is the common practise, and probably other people think in this way,
so one might overlook PLIST_FILES if one sees that pkg-plist exists.

Gabor