PLIST_FILES question

Wesley Shields wxs at atarininja.org
Tue Jan 2 12:29:12 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 11:17:04AM -0900, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> Can someone give me the proper syntax for PLIST_FILES in a port Makefile?
> The handbook isn't really clear on how to use it.

PLIST_FILES is useful if you only have a handful of files to list in the
plist.  It saves an inode (see the archives for this) at the expense of
being able to grep for things in pkg-plist.

The syntax is exactly what is shown in the handbook...

PLIST_FILES=	bin/foo bin/bar include/example/foo.h include/example/bar.h
PLIST_DIRS=	include/example

This is the equivalent of having the following in pkg-plist:
bin/foo
bin/bar
include/example/foo.h
include/example/foo.bar
@dirrm include/example

If you are looking to do substitutions in the plist I'd recommend using
pkg-plist not PLIST_FILES or PLIST_DIRS as I'm not sure if substitutions
are done on the latter.  Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong (I
have not experimented to find out).

-- WXS