bsd-pan

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 18:17:52 UTC 2007

Jason Gretz wrote:
> Hey guys, I was checking the status of my ports, and I got this
> output from “pkg_version –v”
>

> bsdpan-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.001      !   Comparison failed
>
> bsdpan-Compress-Zlib-2.001          <   needs updating (port has 2.003)
>
> bsdpan-Date-Manip-5.44              =   up-to-date with port
>
> bsdpan-Filesys-Virtual-0.06         =   up-to-date with port
>
> bsdpan-Filesys-Virtual-Plain-0.10   =   up-to-date with port
>
> bsdpan-HTML-Parser-3.55             <   needs updating (port has 3.56)
>
> bsdpan-HTML-Tagset-3.10             =   up-to-date with port
>
> bsdpan-IO-1.23                      >   succeeds port (port has 1.20)
>
> bsdpan-IO-Compress-Base-2.001       !   Comparison failed
>
> bsdpan-IO-Compress-Zlib-2.001       !   Comparison failed
>

> Maybe I’m just a loser and can’t type, but the “locate” and “whereis”
> command can’t find any of these. And yes, the “locate” database is
> updated (via cron every 15 minutes) Anyone know where in the Ports
> Tree these are?

Actually the whole point here is that these packages don't come
from the ports tree at all.  'bsdpan' is 'FreeBSD' + 'CPAN' -- that
is, it's a FreeBSD modification to the usual perl module handling
-- ie. the CPAN.pm stuff -- which records all of the files etc.
installed by a CPAN module in the package database.  Because of this,
and unlike most other Unixoid systems it's easy to use pkg_delete to
cleanly deinstall a perl module on FreeBSD.

However 'bsdpan' packages don't have a package origin, and hence cause
a few problems with certain functionality of the FreeBSD package handling tools.  In general if a perl module is available from the ports tree
then you should install it that way rather than the CPAN way.

As for where the packages are: strip off the 'bsdpan-' part of the
name. strip off the trailing version number and dash, then replace
the other dashes with slashes and optionally slap a '.pm' on the end.
So:

bsdpan-IO-Compress-Zlib-2.001 ---> IO/Compress/Zlib

You'll find that under /usr/local/lib/perl5/site-perl/5.8.8/

Or you can just type 'pkg_info -L bsdpan-IO-Compress-Zlib-2.001'

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW