SANE Linux 'brother2' backend for MFC-7820N scanner?

Chris Shenton chris at shenton.org
Thu Feb 22 18:20:44 UTC 2007

I picked up a Brother MFC-7820N print/fax/scan/copy, seems like a good
device for US$250 or so.  My Mac can print and scan over the net to it
fine.  I've got FreeBSD printing to it with lpd and apsfilter.  I'd
like to be able to use its scan features from FreeBSD too.

The Sane project shows this device with "good" support:

  http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-BROTHER2

but this is using a closed-source binary driver from Brother:

  http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/sane_drivers.html

which is built for RedHat, mandriva/Mandrake, SuSE, FedoraCore,
Debian.

Anyone tried to get this working on FreeBSD?  If not, any suggestions?

Thanks.