Porting a Linux application to FreeBSD

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 13 00:39:50 UTC 2007

On 2/13/07, Tom McLaughlin <tmclaugh at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 14:35 -0800, youshi10 at u.washington.edu wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I was referred here by some people in the hackers@ list because I
> > asked a porting related question and I should have asked it on this
> > list.
> >      I was wondering steps people had used in the past for porting
> > linux applications, in particular applications that need libpng (i.e.
> > the differences between FreeBSD and Linux's libpng, if there are any).
> > I ran configure with no arguments and with the
> > --with-png=/usr/local/lib argument, but both sets of arguments fail
> > saying that they require png_read_png (just a C generated autoconf
> > test). The odd thing that I discovered too when I manually tried to
> > compile the autoconf generated C file is that it segfaulted when I
> > tried to execute the program (not sure if this behavior's intended or
> > not).
>
> Linux does not have it's own libpng and neither do we.  Most Linux
> distros and us use libpng from libpng.org.  I took a quick look at the
> current libpng in the ports tree and it appears to have png_read_png().
> With out seeing a Makefile for the ports system and some error output it
> is hard to comment as to the specific reason stuff is failing for you.

Yes, but my money says
==
=CPPFLAGS=       -I${LOCALBASE}/include
=LDFLAGS=        -L${LOCALBASE}/lib
=GNU_CONFIGURE=  yes
=CONFIGURE_ENV=  CPPFLAGS="${CPPFLAGS}" LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS}"
===
will help, it always(x0.999) does :-) It's one
of those things everyone knows about but no one
commits into Mk/* because we enjoy routine so
much.