(Very) bogus package dependencies

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Dec 24 09:44:47 PST 2007

--On December 24, 2007 4:23:15 PM +0200 Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua>
wrote:

> And a practical thought: it seems that in recent FreeBSD versions system
> tar can work rather well with the ISO CD9660 FS, so it should be enough
> to list directories in an image. What I am trying to say: before adding
> a dependency examine your options and choose the best one.

In principle that is good practice, but how many port maintainers are
knowledgeable enough of programming to make those choices?  I suspect
quite a few are but not all.  I'm certainly not.  Perhaps this is an issue
that the committers would be more suited to address?  (I get the
impression that most, if not all, of them are programmers or at least very
knowledgeable of programming.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas