[RFC] Automated generation of /etc/resolv.conf from the rc.d script

Roy Marples roy at marples.name
Thu Dec 20 09:09:52 PST 2007

> I've took a stab at it[1].  If you have a FreeBSD box handy and can test
> it out I'll be glad to receive feedback.  I've never used openresolv nor
> do I have a use for it at the moment.  I'm not sure if my removal of the
> symlink was the right thing to do or not since I'm not familiar with how
> the software works.  Can you test out the port and let me know if it
> works normally?

Which symlink did you remove?

/etc/resolv.conf should be a symlink to
$PREFIX/etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf otherwise it won't actually work
as resolvconf never updates the real /etc/resolv.conf

$PREFIX/etc/resolvconf/run should be a symlink to /var/run/resolvconf so
that all prior information collected is cleaned when the system boots.

> Also, if you want to be the maintainer I can change it to your address
> if I send a PR for it.

No, not really. I spent enough time maintaining my software :)

On another note, what is the preferred means of getting something into
ports? I also have dhcpcd [1] and a ports Makefile for it (dhcpcd is a
DHCP client)

Thanks

Roy

PS - not currently subscribed to ports@ - should I be for this