Ports Re-engineering: Semi-official statement of scope and schedule

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 19 21:24:03 PST 2007

Perhaps it's implicit somewhere in your stuff, but one thing that I have
not seen mentioned is along the lines of what Mike Makonnen is doing with
his prototype new installer. Namely divorcing the parts of the system that
do the work and the UI.
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=627025+0+current/freebsd-current

Irrespective of the perceived value of any of the other goals, this kind
of work would really add value to the system, since it would allow for
building fancier front ends, including HTML, X applications, etc.

>From my perspective (as someone writing tools to interact with the ports
system) a well defined API for interacting with the system would be
enormously valuable, and spur further innovation. I also think that the
work to define the API would go a long way toward helping to structure the
system.

hth,

Doug