Optional patching

Wesley Shields wxs at atarininja.org
Wed Dec 19 12:48:21 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 08:13:16PM +0000, RW wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:13:06 -0500
> Wesley Shields <wxs at atarininja.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't think it matters really, but is probably a matter of personal
> > preference.  The only problem with using an option that I see is that
> > if the user has no idea if (s)he is on a 64bit platform and turns the
> > option off.  It's for this reason I'd suggest using the .if ${ARCH}
> > approach.
>
> I would have thought that the ".if ${ARCH}" method was the only
> sensible way of doing it. Packages are built without any options set.

They are built using the default OPTIONS in the Makefile - ie: those
that are specified as "on".  If what you say is true then one of my
ports would not build properly - it requires at least one of a few
options to be on.

Another reason not to put it in as an OPTION is that if the option
defaults to off the package will fail to build on 64bit platforms.

-- WXS