Request for Features: Ports Re-engineering

Brian bri at brianwhalen.net
Mon Dec 17 06:44:33 PST 2007

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

I dont use X on FreeBSD, so cannot comment on al th Xorg stuff.  Keeping
in mind that I believe it is appropriate for this new tool to make it at
lest a little easier on new users, while still giving them valuable
info, I suggest the following.

1. I would like for the new equivalent of portupgrade -P to actually
find and install packages more often than building ports, currently this
is not the case, for me at least.
2. If the tool implemented the functionality of fastest_cvsup when
downloading files from FreeBSD servers, users would likely see a
performance improvement, and FreeBSD would likely see better load
distribution.
3. System changes that are necessary for proper functionality are
delivered via email to a specified email address or to some easy to find
and refer to file, with the option to have them done by the install
routine if the user desires that.
4. Log of what ports were installed/upgraded/downgraded at what time.

Brian