Limitations of Ports System

Skip Ford skip at menantico.com
Fri Dec 14 12:45:39 PST 2007

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> RW wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:34:58 -0500 "Aryeh M. Friedman"
>> <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Namely if I build abc with options 123 and 345 and def with 345
>>> and 678 then 345 will be cached for def since we already set it
>>> for abc.
>>
>> How do you know the user wants 345 set on both ports?
>>
>> It might be a useful stable feature on "abc", but causes lock-ups
>> on "def"
>
> There are multiple ways to handle the effects of 345 on def... only
> one of them is to automatically apply it the other two are def can
> ignore it by default or make it suer settable

Other than the automatic caching apsect, how would this be any different
from what we already have with ports-mgmt/portconf?

Currently, if you want a knob to apply to all ports, you wildcard the knob
in your ports.conf file.  If you want the same knob defined differently
depending on port name, you define it per port.

--
Skip