TeTeX and TeXLive

mahonmesr at googlemail.com mahonmesr at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 14 11:27:10 PST 2007

On 20071214 09:49:24, Albert Shih wrote:

> I think there are some misunderstanding. teTeX is a distrubition,
> latex is a command.
>
> tex, latex, pdftex, pdflatex, etc.... is set of command and all of this
> command need many files (~15000 files).
>
> If you like it's like a Linux, gcc is part of Linux, but gcc is not Linux.
> And the are many linux distribution (Debian, Fedora etc..).
>
> But actually there only one distribution and it's TexLive. The teTeX
> project is ended by the author.
>
> tex/latex don't evolve very fast, that's not mean it's never change.

We have to remember, as well, that ConTeXt is also distributed as part of
teTeX and the version included (TeXExec 5.2.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005)
is bordering on the neolithic. As such, it's not really eligble for support (the
first thing you'll be told to do is upgrade to a recent version).

MM