Limitations of Ports System

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Dec 13 12:50:39 PST 2007

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 11:17:34AM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Steven Kreuzer wrote:
>
>> This thread was called "results of ports re-engineering survey" but I
>> figured I would start a new thread.
>
> Rightly so.
>
>> On Dec 12, 2007, at 6:45 AM, Ade Lovett wrote:
>>> We *know* it can be done better.  We *know* the scaling limits of the
>>> current system, and most of us are completely amazed it even still works.
>>> If y'all want to make a difference, concepts and ideas we have plenty of.
>>> Code talks.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, are any of these shortcomings documented anywhere? I
>> have been using ports on my home machine for a long time and I've never
>> had any problems with it. I assume the issues come into play when you work
>> with multiple systems you are trying to keep in sync, etc.
>>
>> I would be interested in reading about some of the limitations people have
>> run into when using ports.
>
> Notable with the new modular Xorg is the speed of changes
> (install/deinstall/clean) when there are a lot of ports installed. Before
> modular xorg, 400 ports installed was a lot.  700 now is not surprising.
>
> Some profiling looking for areas which could benefit from speed
> optimization would be useful.  That may have already been done but not
> publicized.

There were some modifications added to the ports tree earlier this year (I
think it was) that resulted in some quite significant speedups when
installing/deinstalling ports.  There were quite a bit of discussions about
it at the time at this list (or possibly one of the other freebsd- lists.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se